Monday, March 21, 2011

Buying Seeds... a mini-review

Being a non-driver, my seed shopping so far has been restricted to Wilkinsons and the pound shop, seeing as none of my local garden centres are accessible on public transport.
This is all fine for the basics, but part of the reason for wanting to grow my own veg is to be able to have more exciting things than I could get at the supermarket.
So, after mooching around online a bit, I found two places that I decided to order from.
Both appealed to me because of their cheeriness, and the fact they were utterly non-threatening to a newbie gardener: a lot of places I looked sortof screamed "serious knowledgeable people buy seeds here", and put me off.
But you don't want to hear about those do you?
No!
You want to know about the lovely newbie-friendly cheery ones don't you?

The first that caught my attention was Moreveg, which was simple and straightforward but had interesting things like Spaghetti Squash and Atomic Red Carrots. I also liked the 'what to grow this month' page and the fact that the seeds are listed alphabetically. I also loved the fact I could pay by paypal.

The second drew me in with an offer of a freebie, but then held me with its general niceness. This was
Vegetable Seeds. Again, there were interesting things to be had, pleasingly presented in a newbie-friendly way, and I could pay by paypal. The seeds were cheap, and there's free postage too. But then it got better. Straight away after ordering, I got an email with the instructions for my seeds, which just made me smile, but the best bit is the lovely customer blog space (beautiful example here).

I'm now just waiting for my seeds to arrive, so I can get planting!


No comments:

Post a Comment