Sunday, March 6, 2011

First seeds in...


A sunny weekend, and generous toddler naptime (bliss) has led to me being able to do more than just dream of the herb garden. I managed to have a much needed sort out of my seed box.

As you can see, it's not the most ordered of places. What it tells you about me is which plants I have had crazy enthusiasms for, and which plants I still love the best. Who really needs to grow crocus from seed?

Apparently me, but I'm just not ready for them yet, those seeds require years of commitment, and I'm not good at quick decisions. And yes, a professional gardener did tell me that keeping seeds in a sealed tupperware in the fridge was the best way to keep them going for a long time. I hope he was right, because some of these things have been in my fridge for a number of years.

So today, I weeded through, and found things that will be beautiful in my friend's prospective plot (and in mine too, because I always plant extra!). I microwaved my potting compost for 20 minutes, and let it cool (my potting compost has been sitting in a bag next to a disused flower bed in the back yard, who knows what might be in it).


So, into the seed tray went:
  • lemon balm; invasive, tall, beautiful for tea, for bees, and for the soul
  • fennel; feathery delight, although I know I'm supposed to plant it in the ground where it's to grow, we'll see how this works
  • calendula; or pot marigold, a herb and a lovely bright flower
  • basil; both greek and the common or garden variety, my friend has a conservatory, and if we're lucky enough sun in the garden for the greek basil to go out,
  • two different types of salvia or sage; a bit experimental, but worth a try
  • a mix of peppers; corna di torro, jalapeno, cubanella, all for the conservatory

I can't wait to see what comes up, if and when it does. There has also been a rapid trip to the aquatic shop and garden centre, and we now have peas for our own garden (toddler and parental joy at being out in the sunshine, she planted, I wielded the hoe, Mup directed the planting operations) as well as chives, thyme and parsley for the next round of planting. My packet of pansy seeds was sadly empty, but I'm going to get some species violas, which will do a better culinary job anyway.

Ooh, waiting for things to come up is my one of my favourite gardening things (along with reading seed catalogues).

2 comments:

  1. Lemonbalm! I knew there was something I'd missed from my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't buy any. I will pass some on, in either seedling or seed form! I love lemonbalm tea, and it seems to make me oddly cheerful too...in a slightly medicated way. Not that I complain.

    ReplyDelete