Monday, March 28, 2011

So much growing, so much that I have probably planted a little early.

Very little is as exciting as sweetcorn seeds coming up. Little green spears springing up. I feel like Medea sewing the dragon's teeth. Luckily I don't think my spears will turn into warriors. Hopefully we'll get really delicious sweetcorn.

Everything I have going in the seed trays has come up apart from the fennel (very ancient seeds), and the Salvia lavandifolia. The trays are really beautiful and desperately need thinning.

My friend's garden has got a reasonable number of herbs already planted: two types of thyme, a purple sage, mint and a huge rosemary bush. They are sort of scattered around a patio that is going to go, so I think I'll be moving the plants, and planting my seedlings all in one section. She would prefer to have everything together in one place, so we can definitely do that.

My first lot of gardening for her was to trim the giant rosemary bush (which I am NOT moving), and put the clippings into the compost heap. Excitingly, despite her nerves about worms she has said she'll feed the compost, which is a great bravery, so there will be loads of rich lovely compost for her husband's planned veg bed.

We also planted some dwarf sweetpeas in a pot for her conservatory craft room. My small was ecstatically happy all day in the garden, which makes all of us equally gleeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment