Monday, March 7, 2011

Why I'm Blogging This

My name is Diane and I am NOT greenfingered.
I have never gardened, and I have always maintained that I am possessed of some evil plant-killing aura. I have always been the sort of person who gets given Cacti, or Ivy, or something equally hardy and the generous giver gently teases, saying, "You can't possibly kill these!"*.

But I love the idea of gardening. Of watching things grow, of being part of the process of beauty emerging from earth and water and tiny specks of seeds. I also love the idea of having a garden.

So, as a clueless beginner, I turned to my first port of call for free information: the internet.
But I was to be disappointed. Although I found lots of wonderful friendly forums, and cheery sites full of useful stuff, I couldn't find anything that was aimed at my practically non-existent level of knowledge. Most of the library books I found were similar.

Luckily, I was rescued by friends! I know people with varying levels of expertise and equally high levels of enthusiasm, so I do have some good sources of advice.
And now I have a starting point.

I always think that the best way to learn any practical skill is to try it, so that's what I'm doing. And because I can't be the only person who is a clueless dreamer with a plot of land, I'm going to blog what I'm doing, what I learn, what happens, what grows and what doesn't, all of it, so that there will be a gardening resource for the clueless beginner!

*Yes, I killed both the cacti (it went mouldy) and the ivy. I've never met anyone else that's managed to accidentally kill off an ivy plant.

1 comment:

  1. I am with you all the way, girl! I've been known to kill a plant or two in my time.

    ReplyDelete